ConvexDecomposition Assert/Memory Leak

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

ConvexDecomposition Assert/Memory Leak

Postby MeltingPlastic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi Julio, I am trying to maintain that I can run my program in full debug mode without asserts being thrown.

I recently added convex decomposition as a CollisionShape type in the Urho3D engine.

The following asserts get thrown for me related to introducing this:

dgMeshEffect3.cpp (line 753):
Code: Select all
dgAssert (0);

dgIntersections.cpp (lines 164-167)

dgAssert (p0.m_w == dgFloat32(0.0f));
dgAssert (p1.m_w == dgFloat32(0.0f));
dgAssert (boxP0.m_w == dgFloat32(0.0f));
dgAssert (boxP1.m_w == dgFloat32(0.0f));

So as an experiment I commented out the asserts to allow the program to run.

After this I get a final assert at the exit of my program indicating memory leaks:
dgMemory.cpp (line 170):
dgAssert (m_memoryUsed == 0);

I made a further experiment and commented out that line as well. As expected a third party memory leak detector also detected the memory leak at the exit of my program.

Is there a way the asserts can be turned into traces or something for enabling runtime support for debug mode? Also do you think there a good fix for the memory leaks?

The asserts in dgIntersections.cpp looks like its a check for small boxes? I am not sure what the first assert is about.

Thanks again for your time!
MeltingPlastic

Re: ConvexDecomposition Assert/Memory Leak

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:41 pm

the convex decomposition is commented out, and will provably be removed from the engine.
That was a tool that was ther for a long time, because it was better than most tool available,
but now there are very good third party tools than can do a much better job than Newton.
Julio Jerez

Postby MeltingPlastic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am

sounds good. Is there a library that you recommend? V-HACD is the only one I've found
MeltingPlastic

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am

MeltingPlastic wrote:sounds good. Is there a library that you recommend? V-HACD is the only one I've found

V-HACD is very good yes, at one point newton was better and faster, but that was about 6 or 7 years ago, since them Kale the author has made great improvement in quality, performance and versatility.
Therefore when I get to the point of revisiting the convex decomposition I will probably use his library as a third party add-on. But I will not spend time re writing my on version again.
One reason for this is that Newton is primarrilly a real time libray and things like convex decomposition are better done by offline tool because they require lot of user iteration by tweaking parameters.
Julio Jerez

Return to Bugs and Fixes