Ragdoll picking force bug

Report any bugs here and we'll post fixes

Moderators: Sascha Willems, Thomas

Ragdoll picking force bug

Postby FSA » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:06 pm

If I pick the ragdoll anywhere but at the hand, I can move it normally. However, if I pick it at the hand the resulting force on the ragdoll seems to be mich lower, I cannot lift it anymore.

Video: https://youtu.be/Fhb6R1GQRHU

Is this considered a bug?
FSA

Re: Ragdoll picking force bug

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:33 pm

No is not a bug, the mass distribution is calculated by the volume of the collision shapes body part.
But the hand are too thin, so the volume is tiny so the get a very small mass. Look at your own hands so you can see the size it as compared to the forward ar for example. This is worse for the simply model since the capsules are so much bigger than the box hand.
I had to make the feed box some waht larger because of that

Since the picking joint use the mass of the body to apply the force, it can't apply a strong force.
To fix I have to add some weight average, that scale the body par t apropiatlly.
Julio Jerez

Re: Ragdoll picking force bug

Postby Julio Jerez » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:46 pm

ok I just added the weighting of the mass.
it is in file ..//newton-4.00\applications\ndSandbox\demos\ndActiveRagdoll.cpp

dActiveJointDefinition now has the mass weight, and in the array that specify the joints the value is set
to 2.0 for teh hands, all oteh part are 1.0
this is in array. dActiveJointDefinition jointsDefinition[] =

now the hands appear to have a bigger volume, so the get a bigger mass when the mass distribution is assigned. Doing this now is possible to lift the body by grabbing the hands.
Thsi si actually very important, because it shows that teh strength of the the hand, meaning if you grab the character by teh hands, the hand does not flexes too much, just the right amount which is important for controlling the dynamics.
Later I will also have to weight the feet so that the have more saying in the controller,

anyway, keep tune I will continue on this.
Julio Jerez

Return to Bugs and Fixes