Newton 2.0x Archemedia Open Beta

A place to discuss everything related to Newton Dynamics.

Moderators: Sascha Willems, walaber

Re: Newton 2.01 Archemedia Open Beta

Postby greyleg » Sun May 31, 2009 9:17 am

I get build errors when I try to run the iPhone Demo (beta 2.01) on my iPhone device.

The compiler says:

collect2: id returned 1 exit status
symbol(s) not found

Is the Demo working for you other guys?
greyleg

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun May 31, 2009 9:48 am

I am in the prossess of debug the Iphone in the actual device,
I am also making a better demo that actually uses the SDK to do put physic boides on the screnn.
I just have my iPot Touch this week, and Apple send me my approbal last friday.
I am blown away by the iPot touch, thsi si by far teh most impresive toy I ever had.

I am running soem totorial to get familiar wit the SDK first, and so far so go,
Stand by.
Julio Jerez

Postby melven » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:54 pm

First of all: beta 2.01 seems nice!

But I have a strange bug in my app:
With the beta 2.01 objects move with exactly the double of the velocity they have (the velocity is correct, it's like the time is running twice as fast). I managed to "correct" the behavior by scaling the time by 0.5. With beta 2.00 it worked correctly.
I'm using OgreNewt and linux 32 bit and I also tested some demos, there were no such strange problems, so it should be a bug in my app, but I have no idea, where I can find it... It would be nice, if you can give me a hint (since it's somehow related to the changes in the latest beta)!
melven

Postby Julio Jerez » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:35 pm

There are many structural changes in 2.01 to make it more friendly to GPU, but it sould be functional identical to 2.00
are you saying that if velocit is for exemple 1.0 and dt is 1/60 the diplacement is 2/60 intead of 1/60?
is this general?
you say it happens in your project only, can you send me a test that exposes the bug for debugging?
Julio Jerez

Postby easysim » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:22 am

When I try Newton 2.0 beta sdk in my example with some plain bodies, which all have random force given with the NewtonBodySetForceAndTorqueCallback only few move with 2.0 but all moved with 1.53 :(

Sure i'm making some mistake when switching to 2.0 but i can not find what.
Can you please give a tip what i must change in my code to work with newton game 2.0 beta sdk?

Thank you!
easysim

Postby easysim » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:21 am

Ah i see - for each body after create you have to use NewtonBodySetAutoSleep(0) in 2.0 SDK
thank you, now my bodies move again.
easysim

Postby JernejL » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:37 am

easysim wrote:Ah i see - for each body after create you have to use NewtonBodySetAutoSleep(0) in 2.0 SDK
thank you, now my bodies move again.

Only if you create bodies outside the world size which get frozen, i suggest you set world size first..
Help improving the Newton Game Dynamics WIKI
JernejL

Postby HarryPotter » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:27 pm

I am trying the 2.01 beta on Mac (10.5.7) and when I try to start the demo the program crashes,
the error message in the stack trace is:

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/GLUI.framework/Versions/A/GLUI

I have no GLUI in my Library/Frameworks - do you need a 10.6 (Developer Preview)??
Thank you for supporting Mac, anyway.
HarryPotter

Postby Julio Jerez » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:59 pm

yes I know, It seems very few people in Mac developer community know how to install Mac Frameworks.

I will add those dependencies to the xcode project as dependencies library, and not as frameworks.
I has the same problems with windows and I did the same, so I should be able to do the same with the Mac too.
I will do it this weekened and post Beta 2.02

Another benefic I will get from doing that is tha I will be able to compile for Mac os 10.4, 10.5 or anythiong else,
wriet knwop teh demos can only be build with 10.5 becaose teh framaworks are set diffrenst in OS 10.4 and 10.5

It is a litle set back in the Mac, bit nothing really serius.
In the mean time you can search for those Frameworks in the net, and just install them following the intructions, you sodul be aboe to run teh demos..
Julio Jerez

Postby Julio Jerez » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:04 am

OK I update the Mac and PC build.
There is an edge Bug fixed.
Later Dave Gravel will make a Multi body Car to show up the improved Car Joint.
For what I can see this joint makes cars that behave a better than Raycast cars. It allows Drafting and power slide as emerging physics behaviour.
I will wait until Dave complete the new Car demo to release 2.02

The Mac Build now include GLUT, GLWE and GLUI framework with the project.
Unfutunatly I could only build them for 10.5, when I set the target to 10.4 I get too many compleier errors.
I mad the Mistake to load the xcode project in xcode 3.0 and now it is not backword compatible with xcode 2.5,

Because the graphics are buyild for OS 10.5, the only work on Mac OS Tiger and up, however the Netwon Libraries are build with OS Leopard 10.4 so they can be use with any modern Mac.
In fact the SDK also have a Mac for old power pc G3
It is a shame that OpenGL utilities libraries has not being improved in years for the Mac and Linux, and they sometime malfunction.

It sounds like there is room for someone to make a lightweight OpenGL utility library that is up to date and cross platform. GLUT, GLWE, and GLUI are too old and opsoleted.

In any case remember these libraries are only use to show the demos, to use the engine you only need the Newton.h and libNewton.a file.
Please if you try the Mac SDK, let me know if it works or if there are still problems.
Julio Jerez

Postby JernejL » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:45 am

You could try using SDL ( http://www.libsdl.org/ ), it's a good library but has its own flaws (no multimon support, single window only, etc..) but it is just fine for basic opengl and for that it works well.
JernejL

Postby JernejL » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:31 pm

melven wrote:First of all: beta 2.01 seems nice!

But I have a strange bug in my app:
With the beta 2.01 objects move with exactly the double of the velocity they have (the velocity is correct, it's like the time is running twice as fast). I managed to "correct" the behavior by scaling the time by 0.5. With beta 2.00 it worked correctly.

I have to report i am getting this same problem, my cars, actors, everything goes twice as fast in 2.01 when the bodies are in contact with a trimesh / ground, more contacts with trimesh appears to speed things up exponentially.!

I am also having a old raycast issue which was in beta19 which must have silently returned in some 2.0 revision, this raycast bug also happens with 2.01, i made a video of it:
http://mathpudding.com/tdc/nbug2.avi

Julio: i will send you a privmsg with a link to build of my game which exposes these bugs so you can test it.
JernejL

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 pm

So there are tow bug, teh ray cast and the collision speed up.

I can not see the video, what codec are you using?
Julio Jerez

Postby JernejL » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Julio Jerez wrote:So there are tow bug, teh ray cast and the collision speed up.

I can not see the video, what codec are you using?

Yes two bugs, and i used XVID codec which is here: http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html

I only made the video of raycast bug, the raycast bug happens in 2.0 aswell as 2.01.
For the collision speed up you can test yourself, just change the dll to 2.01 in the beta build of my game that i sent you in a PM, and you wil immediately see the change.

I can make pictures if you cant get the video to work.
JernejL

Postby Julio Jerez » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:48 pm

I download divex codec but still do no work, I thonk it is because I have windows 64, they have thier message overthere
Also, as I currently don't have access to my 64-Bits-machine, I can't offer a build for 64-Bit operating systems. Sorry about that.

Can you load usiing window movie maker and save it a wmv file?
I would like to see how the bug looks before debugging.
I provably made a mistake somewhere durin teh refactroing fo the CUDA thing.
any way I will debug teh test tha you send me.
Julio Jerez

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion